A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Friday, February 11, 2005

Sweet Dreams

So Lent began Wednesday and I have yet to partake in a fuzzy carbonated beverage from a can. I can't even say the word - my cravings are too intense. If I say the word I may start drooling and, Kari-my non-drooling coworker would stare at me. Yesterday, I took a boxing class, you know -with bags and gloves and all. I'd put Billy Blanks to shame. Anywho - after I came home opened the fridge and saw the light and glow of a red 10oz can of C#k*...I reached for the can instinctively and withdrew...Whew, that was a close call. And it was only day 2. Needless to say, I peered to the second level of the refridgerator and grabbed the next to shiniest thing - a Bud LIght. Nothing like a cold Bud Light after an intense workout. Yeah, I may not drink beer on a normal occasion but after a boxing class - different story.
It gets worse. I go to bed lastnight after I drank a glass of Tang. Do you remember Tang? No, not the 'C' word but definitely made me happy. So I fall asleep within a normal amount of time (this is progress from my normal habits) and at some point during the slumber I begin to dream that Katie, my nurse/friend for a long time/roommate was fixing me a cold glass of Coke (okay I said it) in a tall glass with rabbit poop ice. The way I like it. She was just about to give me the coke when something woke me up. I tried furiously to go back to sleep so I could indulge - no such luck. Am I cheating on lent if I am dreaming about the very thing that I gave up to....you know....bring me closer to God? Do I sound closer to God after these little episodes.
It is only day 3 and I am a wreck. Lastnight in between the Tang and the sleep I had some quiet time...another thing that has come back to fruition with the start of lent.......It was a difficult thing to try to pray for my lack of dependence on the refreshing beverage and I found myself laughing at myself. It is good to laugh at yourself often.
I think the purposes of lent have been lost over the years of habitual Catholics seeking to test their own self-control rather than find their need for God. I am at fault too. I, like the next person, love to think that I have the control to stop my own cravings if I really wanted to. In years past, I have given up 3 or 4 things in hopes that in the end I stuck to one.
This lent season is different, not because it is lent but because it is a New Year and it is my year to thrive - per the title of this blog. Therefore, getting back to my quiet times that I used to be passionate about....getting back to my health which at one point too only allowed for the occassional spurge on the caffeinated drink (as opposed to the recent patterns of 2.5/day).

Overall, good things to come. I can feel it. My book says you have to imagine and believe that God is going to bless you and give to you abundantly before it is even going to happen if in fact it is going to happen. Great book, BTW....you should get it. It is called 'Your Best Life Now'. Didnt I tell you that yesterday?

I'm heading to the moutains this weekend to lead a cabin of 11th grade girls at Young Life camp. Oh to be 17 again. I loved 17. This should be great!

Drink a co-cola for me today...

1 Comments:

Blogger charlsiekate said...

Betsy, I love you, but please don't describe the ice like that. It puts terrible images in my mind, and you know how much I love ice. Don't ruin it for me. I miss you so much and I love you!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home