A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Friday, December 02, 2005

37 cents of happiness

That is all it takes. 39 cents and I am yours. This subjet has been broached many a times in the blog before but needs to be noted as Christmas time draws near and yes, the birthday. 39 cents these days will buy you a stamp and that stamp will allow your genuine words -even if it is only a few - to be delivered to me from wherever you are in America to me - wherever I am. Personal mail in my mailbox is by far the greatest man made thing that I know of and quite possible the cheapest but most effective form of communication.
I am such a sucker for it that I am that girl that falls for the marketing ploys by company's that send you what looks like real mail only to be opened and completely dissappointed. My Charleston friends are super on top of this when it comes to mail dropping. We used to be better in college as I would send and receive a hand written letter once a week so you always had something to make you smile around 3:45 pm when the mail lady came. I am that girl, too, that likes to greet the postal service worker as they are delivering their bundle of joy daily. And, once, i even wanted to be a walking mail lady for life.
You probably dont even know this but if you have ever written me a letter it is saved in a huge tuperware container in my closet. And I actually do go back and take a peek everyone once in a while. This would drive you nuts, you neat freaks who throw away everything immediatly. Love notes that were passed in middle school and highschool - still got 'em. And, yep, those are great entertainment for a quiet Friday night and maybe a glass of wine.
My sister, Mary Lauren, used to write me the coolest notes ever when I was in school. I am going to go grab one in a sec....but I cant tell you what a surprise a handwritten note does to even the coldest of people (not that I am cold but others are and I know they too like getting good mail). Funny thing is in my business they teach us that the best practice you can adopt is to mail thank you letters atleast 5 times a day. They even teach us to lay out the 5 daily with the date on them so you do them. Some times I find myself thanking even a waitress at a restaraunt. Now, was I so thankful that I should write a note - probably not, but just the art of thinking of the people during your day who made you smile and then recognizing them is a treasure in itself.
I was once wooed (sp?) by a boy and one of the initial acts of interest was to send an overnighted UPS letter to my house (at the time was my parents house which makes for some fun family drama) with a letter and 2 tickets to a concert that I would have given my left arm to see ( go ahead and laugh...it was the artist formerly known as Prince! Yes, it is true). Needless to say, whether the guy was a creep or a genuine-romeo: letter to the house, overnighted =major kudos. I was a little smitten from day one. Okay, so I did learn from that that a mail-writing (ONCE) type of guy isnt always a mail writer nor even of marrying quality but - hey, you have to live and learn.
Okay, so anyway - if you wish to send me your address I will put you in my list to mail to. It may be nothing profound but it will for sure make your day to have your red flag on themailbox down, the box stuffed and one of the pieces to be a hand written envelope - with YOUR name on it. Natural high - better than many things i can think of and some I have probably yet to experience. Your heart will do somer saults as mine does a few times a week.
I write this because yesterday, not only was there no personal mail. there was nothing. Now, that, my friends, is a sad sad day.

Hey to prove it doesnt take much - our sweet and obviously busy landlord sent us a white piece of computer paper lastnight with this note written in pencil:

Dear Wieuca Girls,
Thank you for being great. Happy Holidays!
Neil

And, yes, it is on the fridge. Maybe a little undeserving of fridge material but it is the thought that counts.

(letter from sister on the way - I have to find one when I get home)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home