A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Psalm 25:9

The meek will he guide in judgement: and the meek he will teach his way.

Confession first, Katie, after you reading your devotion of the day I became enthralled and now haven't moved off the couch since 4pm just reading through some Tozer. I am so at peace right now. It is raining. I ate my turkey chili (thanks to Meredith). I am under the down comforter on comfy couch (lets admit it, roommates: one is better than the other.) And I have just been reading, snoozing, meditatiing on Tozer's words and taking in the silence.

So, about a week or so ago I mentioned this word that has just drawn me to it like white on rice (yeah, not the right analogy and I dont really get it but I am too relaxed to think of a better one). Then this afternoon in my playing hookie from work I came home to listen to the rain and read and Katie read me a little something first. If God didnt know I needed a little "filling up my bucket"today then I am baffled. Rather than devour the words I am just going to give them to you.
{Inhale}
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me: for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28
{Exhale. Wow. Rest.}

The burden borne by mankind is a heavy and crushing thing. The word Jesus used means 'a load carried or a toil borne to the point of exhaustion." Rest is simply release from that burden. It is not something we do; it is what comes to us when we cease to do. His own meekness, that is the rest.

.....

Such a burden as this is not necessary to bear. Jesus calls us to His rest, and meekness is his method. The meek man cares not at all who is greater than he, for he has long ago decided that the esteem of the world is not worth the effort. He develops toward himself a kindly sense of humor and learns to say, "Oh, so you have been overlooked?" They have placed someone else before you? They have whispered that you are pretty small stuff after all?"....Come on, humble yourself and cease to care what men think."

The Pursuit of God, The Pursuit of Man
A.W. Tozer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home