A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Ode to Katie

This is the 6th birthday that I have been able to celebrate with Katie, the blondest of my roommates. For her 21st we planned a surprise party with the randomest of peoples in attendance. We had wine and beer but I dont think one was opened. I don't even remember the details other than it was a conglomerate of people and Katie wasn't surprised. Well, today we embark upon the 6th celebration. Last year we went to Tu Tu Tango and Katie salsa danced and was hazed into taking some obnoxious shots. Today, against her will - we organized a little mini fiesta at her favorite place - Nuevo Laredo. Or Luevo Naredo for some of you. The evening was splendid with the finest of friends in attendance and the best Mexican and cookie cake you could order. More so, Katie was splendid. Katie has been one of my longest friends and literally, with no stories to be shared now, Katie has seen more of me than anyone. (High kick store inserted here for those of you who have heard.) It really is special and rare that God puts someone in your life that he plans on keeping there long enough to live in 4 different places together, date probably 4 different wrong people in between and somewhere between the sisterly-love......genuinely care deeply for the other person. It makes my heart swell to think back about the first birthday celebration.....when I start to think back so many memories of car rides on a beautiful Athens afternoon pop into my head...and the endless power walks down Milledge....even to encounter a nude stalker stranger one time in the Theta Chi bushes ( do you remember this????).....I can't believe that God has so granted me with a friend that really knows exactly how to compliment me, criticize me, encourage me, challenge me, comfort me, entertain me and knows best - when I should just be left alone. And visa versa. Yes, never did I picture us being here, at the Terrace, in our mid twenties....still gabbing at the end of each day about the stories from the day and who we saw and who is engaged and broken up......never did I think I would still have a friend whom I can openly share what God is doing in my life with no akwardness every afternoon. I am blessed and I am better because of perpetual friends like Katie. What a happy day to celebrate! What a great reason to celebrate a genuine friend! Give Katie a kiss today when you see her - it is only once a year that I have a little bit of justification for me embarrassing her constantly.

Feliz cumpleanos a ti, Katie. Me gusta mucho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home