A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Monday, December 12, 2005

Stir Fry Life

I somehow got the invitation for a little culinary experience lastnight at Chow Baby on Howell Mill and it gave me a new taste bud for both food and life. You get a paddle (like a little stick, not quite a canoeing paddle) and you take the paddle and a bowl and get ready to experience stir fry at it's best! (though a paddle and a bowl does sound like we are going sailing or something). I was a little thrown off as this was my first 'do-it-yourself' stir fry experience. To be honest, the smorgashboard of food options is quite overwhelming - especially, for a 'newbie' like me. Plus, in honor of my body these days and because I really do not like noodles and rice (can you believe that? I know, I know, everyone loves noodles and italian food and rice and pasta. Not me. I had a scarring experience with rice in 5th grade. My forgotten friend, Lisa, decided on a summery Florida afternoon that while we were at home alone we should make a snack of Mr. Ben's instant rice. We didnt know much about cooking or about life so we dumped the whole bag and what seemed to be a cup of dry rice made a heaping pot full of rice. Lisa's mom was at work and we werent supposed to be cooking I guess or atleast Lisa seemed to think we had made a bad mistake and we now needed to cover up for it so we started eating the rice like we would be exhiled if we didnt. We ate fast and we ate alot. I think I finishd the 5th big bowl of yellow rice, bobbled my way through the woods to my house and was sick the next 2 days. I have not liked rice/pasta/noodle foods since but nor have I really given them a second shot either.) so since I am not the biggest fan - I turned my boat of goodies into a salad.
I loaded my biowl with lots of green vegetables, some pineapples, water chestnuts, chicken, red peppers, carrots, spicy peanut sauce and gave it to the chef to turn it into to culinary bliss.
And that it was. Here's the mystery and the lesson: how could that combination of random food be comined to make something so delightful? Yeah, if I had been bold enough to go back for seconds as many did and as you are allowed to do because it is all you can eat - I would have dropped the pineapple but other than that, this concept floats my boat.
How I think beautiful God does the same with the smorgashboard of experiences that we incur. Do you ever think how you got where you are and really there is no clear answer at all. Somehow, you mix a little good and a little bad and a little tough and a little funny (all the produce of life) and you give it to Someone else and they can make it into a tasty creation. And often the vegetable alone, say broccoli, isn't all that apetizing but somehow together with pineapple and water chestnuts and ginger sauce - it is just the taste you wanted. And it is so satisfying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home