A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Technology

I am amazed by processes. I used to lie awake when I was in elementary school and not sleep for hours thinking about processes. You know, how things were made? If I was lucky and my nana was in town I would get her to rub my head until I finally forgot to think about things and fell asleep. If there is one feeling I loathe (and I have plenty of experience to be able to say this) it is getting in bed and knowing that my mind is not going to turn off. At age 10, my mind would try to conceive the make up of crayons or how cotton candy stuck to itself and had such a delightful composition. Then at one point I remember these thoughts turning really serious....you know the period of time where you started thinking about how you were really formed (I mean, not the act silly but the actual formation) and what the space was like that is now earth before it was formed???? Tell me you had these growth periods too that kept you awake at night???? Or just tell me I am weird. I can handle it. Well, none of those questions have necessarily been answered to date but I guess some questions you dont have to ask anymore because faith takes care of them....good thing.
So today a few girls and myself gathered at one of Atlanta's finests' (Jenni B....you shouldnt have to ask) house to call our friends. This was no ordinary call. Nothing with these friends is ordinary and that is what I love most. The thing is our friends, Beth and Holly, are millions of gallons of water away in Swaziland, Africa. Yes, Africa, where it is winter and where there is very little heat and a.c. if at all and it is almost morning due to the time difference and AIDS is rampant and they eat alot of corn...that Africa. We got together to call them on the computer. The hour we had together was such a gift from God - I could sense peace in their voice. I couldnt stop smiling just by being in their "presence." My fascination is this.....we heard their voices and they are continents and miles and miles away and we heard their voices with maybe a one second delay if it all. Now, someone today told me that this was all possible via a strand of 0's and 1's like 0000010010101111011001.....something like that. That makes as much sense to me as brain surgery or boy's heads (ha) or German or something.....no sense at all. My amazement is -in fact- in the actual technological answers for how we actually heard their voices over a wireless computer but more so it is that technology exists at all! God is so freaking BIG! Seriously, granted, you will argue it is by human invention and design that everything has come to be but it is our Creator who designed us with the ability in His image to create and to reason and to solve and to invent. I am humbled today just by the fact that I got to hear - live- Beth and Holly's voice....for free... with no static and they are half way across the world! Lots of water in between people! We serve a great Big, ominpotent, creative, powerful, careful, intricate, beautiful God who has the power to move mountains, create oceans and continents but yet loves the very small person that we are. He sees the depths of our hearts and He loves us the same! That is an amazing God.
I have to end this now becuase I am feeling my head start to turn and all the monkeys in my head are starting to swing. It may take a few just to wind down and I have a big week. God is after my heart on every realm (as He is always) and I just know this is going to be a big week for me - and His Kingdom.
If any of you dorks have a little insight to my questions - whether about online communication, crayons, boys heads or cotton candy....I beg you to shed some light.
Spread the love. Goodnight, kids! Every day is from the Lord - remember this first thing tomorrow and let it mold the way you carry out your day.

011011101111000010101010000

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

011111000100000011000111!!!!! BETSY! I made your blog! ;) I know, isn't it fascinating that we talked last week? I mean seriously. I'm so far away in a 3rd world country and I feel so blessed to have internet connection at our house (in the office) and then we got to use that to talk to yall! Oh, what a wonderful hour that was! Seriously, I went to bed missing you guys alot. I love the sound of your voices and laughs! I totally pictured you all crowded around the computer staring at it as if our faces would magically appear and greet yall w/ another video. haha! I see you in 2 months! Can't WAIT - but have to :(. All for the Kingdom!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home