A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Our Lucky Night

First of all, a little disclaimer: I never said I wouldnt post - just not divulge as usual. I am not breaking any rules. Do not judge. Be happy that I am putting some restrictions on myself.

Now, here is how the night would ensue.

I finish my spin class at 7pm lastnight and run to the car all sweaty and exhausted. I had anticipated another long night at the office so I turned towards the office as I left the Concourse. Let's back up. A few years ago I was introduced to one of my all time favorite musical gods. At the time I was heavily influenced by the N'ahlins culture anyway and whether or not this fella is actually from there he sings about cajuns and cajun food and everything simple - which was my impression of New Orleans for the longest time. So anytime Keb Mo is anywhere in a 100 mile radius I will make the trek even if it is only to enjoy a few songs. For the last few months I have known that June 20th was Keb's show with Bonnie Rait (or Bonnie-Ray to Katherine). Unfortunately, lately I have been so swamped that I tried to forget about the fact that he would be sitting on a stool among a packed house at Chastain - which, yes, is 2.5miles from my house and maybe 4.5 from my office. I forgot about it for all of 3 hours yesterday when I was in a meeting.
Back to lastnight: I turn into the Publix shopping center, wheel my little Honda around and decide I may just 'stop by.' I call Kat who is great at last minute dates (even though she is supposed to be studying for the GED...ha, GRE really).

Betsy: Kat, what do you want for dinner? Publix? Good.
Kat: What are you doing tonight. I am studying for the GED.
Betsy: you are going to 'stop by' Keb Mo with me tonight. Meet me at Publix. Bring my shoes.
Kat: M'kay.
(Somehow in the next 3 minutes I change from my spin clothes to some rendition of my work clothes. We then grab some munchies at Publix and yes, coozies. Kat does bring my shoes which I am thrilled about and then we hop into the zippy Honda and ride off into the sunset. Picture Thelma and Louise at this point.)
Kat: Who is Keb Mo?
(ha. This is funny.)
As we approach Atlanta's greatest venue the traffic is horendous and I dont like to sit still so we out wit the rest of Atlanta and come around the back way. We search and search for a parking spot relevantly close because Keb has already started entertaining the masses. No luck. We spend nearly 20 minutes driving in circles and getting frustrated. And then the stars align.
I see a man. We will have to just call him a man because I will not divulge my sources plus really, I had no clue his name until after we hit the jackpot.
Betsy to Man: Hey, dont I know you? Do you have any secrets for where we should park? (and I didnt even look sheepishly at him...just asked genuinely.)
Man to Betsy and eager-Kat: Turn around, pull in.
Sweet.
Kat and I get real excited and we are high fiving and doing Toyota jumps at the fact that we are parking for free - right next to the theatre.
We grab our goodies and decide to go find a spot outside Chastain where we can semi-picnic and enjoy some live music -even if it is at a distance.
Betsy to Man: Thank you so much. We are only here to see keb Mo (which was true until Kat found out he was actually opening for Bonnie-Ray) and we are just going to sit outside so thanks for the parking tip.
Man reaches into shirt pocket and amid directing traffic and people and looking very important he hands us two TABLE tickets! If you have been to Chastain you know a TABLE ticket is hard to come by but it is where it's at! (Preposition - I know.)
Needless, we can barely thank 'man' because he is so busy solving the streets woes. We skip off with our pic nic, do another high five and Toyota jump and giggle our way into the venue. We decided to take the cheap seats and sit in the Terrace level instead of at the table. We are just happy to be alive and happy to be girls and happy to be single at this point. Then, as if things couldnt get any better we see 3 of our dearest amigos waving a beer at us up in the Lawn section. We join them. They offer us beers and pickles and we enjoy one of the luckiest night's I have had in Atlanta. So, yes. $6.38 worth of groceries in a paper sack and a change of clothes in the car all for a priceless night of free-fun! Score! Pictures to follow.

I don't know if I believe in luck. I prefer the word 'favor'. We were favored and our preparation met opportunity and we jumped! Thank you Kat for somehow going along with my last-minute plot for a perfect Tuesday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home