A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Delayed gratification

Do you ever delete people from your phone just so when they call you are surprised by who it is? I love surprises. I love anticipation too. It's called delayed gratification and it gets me going. Like in highschool when you would have to leave the parking lot immediatly on days I didnt have tennis practice and literally try to make every light on the 6 mile trek home so that I could be there when the phone rang. So maybe I was the perfect cliche of a young highschooler in the middle of a little puppy love? I'm okay being that girl at that time. It was fun. I dated the quarterback and I was a silly cheerleader. You can label me - that's fine. It was a sweet time. Needless, it was so exhilerating to have to rush home to see what plans might ensue for the evening. Of course, then caller ID came around but that too allowed for a little excitement as you scrolled through the list to see who mah have called. Anyway, now people try to act surprised when you call them but really they knew before they said hello that it was you calling. They probably new what you were calling about and they had a 3 second delay just to make you think that they were busy and not too anxious to answer your call. Im not good at games. I would rather just delete all of you callers and then truly be excited (or stuck in a bad situation) if I answer the phone when you call.
And I am one of those people who HATE it when you dont leave a message but you are probably one of those people that hates me leaving you a message if I have nothing more than a friendly hello. True, most people with caller ID these days will call you back whether you leave a message or not unless you are officially Shady McShadster of the month - me - and choose not to respond to any phonecalls. I am on the phone for a living. This past weekend in God's country, Charleston, my phone rang for business all Friday night and at 7:45 Saturday morning. Then, when the caller didnt get me they text messaged me. Dont text me unless you are telling me how invaluable I am and how you need me in your life. Text is only an acceptable form of communication in certain scenarios and should not replace normal conversation. Boys who pursue via text is even more dispicable if text becomes the main form of communication. So......you need to know this though....text misfires are quite dangerous.
2 scenarios - A few years ago when I was young and even more foolish I sat googly-eyed in a conference to a boy (I still cant call y'all 'men') who I happened to be dating and working with - yes, fishing in the company pond. No regrets either. Well, I leave the conference and text the object of my affection YOU LOOK HOT IN YOUR SUIT TODAY. I GET BUTTERFLYS SITTING NEXT TO YOU. Yes, I just wrote that on the WWW for all of you to laugh at. Again, no shame. SEND.
Aghhh.......SENT to _________ THE WRONG PERSON. And the wrong person happened to be a previous long-term boyfriend. Nice.
Scenario 2: Last year in the middle of one of my roommates long, drawn out, long distance drama with a boy she intends to forward an email of his to me for my review. Yes, girls do that. She comments about how fabulous this boy is.....he is winning her heart....yada yada. SEND.
Sent right back to the original sender. This mishap completely changed the dynamics of the relationship (ultimately, for the good because we realized that this boy should have rocks thrown at him). Nonetheless, her little mishap put an end to the relationship-build up because I guess until that point it had all been fun and games. So this was via email - same deal.

Okay, back in Oz now. Where was I going with all that? Bottom line, yes, when I act surprised that you called it is because I am because I am taking your name out of my phone. Isnt a little weird that I create my own excitement? Life is too short not to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home