A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Splendid Saturday

When I was a camp counselor at Camp Greystone a few summers ago we literally heard the bugle in the morning and sat up, clapped our hands and said it's gonna be a great day and I feel terrific! I had no problem doing this as you can imagine because I have always been a morning person. I had normally already been up for a an hour so I was annoyingly peppy I am sure. My campers never had quite the enthusiasm but nonetheless, they did start their day the same way.
Admittedly, I dont start all my mornings this way now. But when I do...I do back handsprings out of bed right down the stairs to my bowl of Wheaties and I do feel terrific. This morning was no exception. Look outside, really, right now - look outside, God's glory is shining right down through a flawless sky onto each sharp red and brilliant yellow leaf. Fall is in full force and for some reason this fall is different. This time of year has always done something for me. It seems like every year I am amazed even more that God would once again do what He does best - create. Each fall I can feel the itestity of creation stirring all the way through my fingertips. Two nights ago I went out to run just as the temperature had dropped about 15 degrees. I knew that if I got through the first mile and a half there was a treasure waiting for miles 2-6. There is a strech of this run (Charlsie, you know it) where you are literally running through a canvas of every color fathomable. Above me, to the right, in front of me....you can open your arms and spin cirles and feel like you are in a kaliedescope. I rounded the corner on this unusually chilly night and out of nowhere tears start falling down my cheeks. And they dont stop. I wasnt crying. Not crying like you think of it. But yes tears were falling off my cheek and hitting my hand as I ran. Everything that the fall weather and the refreshing change of season encompasses came rushing in at once and I was overwhelmed. More so, God's nearness was obvious. Not just on that stretch of the run but lately. Why, God, have you chosen to give me the insight that you have? Why have you affirmed me when your character alone should be enough for me to worship you for the rest of my days? My tears fell because I knew that I have been lavished with blessings. This is always true but somehow this year God has given me an unusual ability to see them - even when you say they arent blessings. The professor in my class Thursday said that God is always preparing us for the next thing. Of course, you say. But think about what you are doing right now? Are you questioning your job path? Are you in the middle of a community of friends who are encouraging you and supporting you? Is it quiet? Do you hear nothing? Is your family being ripped at the seams and it seems at though no one could understand? Has something recently turned for the worse and everything you thought would happen has fallen apart? GOD IS PREPARING YOU FOR THE NEXT THING. Right now God is literally singing songs of praise over me and He has chosen to affirm me and I FEEL TERRIFIC. I dont feel terrific because the weather is so great and I have good business and have plenty do on the social calendar. I FEEL TERRIFIC because I know fully that I am alive because Christ is in me! That is the only sustainable reason that I can feel this TERRIFIC despite the lack of evidence that things are going well.

So I go side tracked - every other fall, yes, the colors and the cool air invigorate me. Every year I am overwhelmed by God's continous display of His creativity. This year there is something more. This year I am confident. I am in a whirlwind when it comes to life direction but I am so confident that God has me here that it just makes everything seem a little lighter.

Tonight I am putting on a fabulous champagne colored dress. I am wearing stilettos and my toes are red. No one is at home today and I have several hours to clean and sing and smell the fresh air through my open windows. I'll wear my favorite clean smelling scent and my dangle bracelets that cling together everytime I take a step. The sun is shining through the living room window enough to warm the room but as the afternoon fall sun so often does - it doesnt intimidate. I am here right now on this splendid Saturday for a reason. I am alone. And for the first time in a while I love it. Tonight Ill look great and Ill feel refreshed and everyone will ask what I did and why I feel so great and I will know it is because of the leaves and the cool air and the accumulation of the blessings that God has chosen to make known to me. When you allow Him to penetrate your heart - down to the very core - it is evident even in your smile. This may be the cheapest beauty trick a girl could know. I love Saturdays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home