A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Kempis speaks music to my ears

Thomas a Kempis was a German monk in the 1400's. Many of you probably know much more about him than I do and many of you probably just clicked away from the page because I even said the word monk. I dont blame you. In a society where abstinence from anything is unheard of and moderation is really no longer the key to a balanced life - the very thought of a monk or anything from the 1400's is seemingly irrelevant.
Well, I have a sincere crush on this German monk. His simplicity is beautiful and altogether peaceful in an every day pace where we can't seem to complete one task at a time. Kempis says 'it is vanity to wish for a long life and care little how it is spent.' Okay, so nothing too profound by this at first. We all know this. We hear it daily from others 40 years our elder. Piper tells us to not waste our life. And then I wake up, eat my eggs and smell my coffee (I like to make it for smell), quickly find something half way clean and half way cute and I head off to work. And really, this is what I do. But my desire each day really is that I work passionately. That I converse with others passionately. That I even eat my lunch passionately....that I sing in my car on the way to appointments with zeal. I know I am not guaranteed anything. Not even the next hour. I dont think that I have to go join the nunnary as Kempis did (though my mama suggests it) to be able to spend my life well. I know for certain that I can make my days count here in Atlanta, Georgia. I think what we often dont realize when you are in your mid twenties, friends and fun a plenty and everything at your fingertips that today matters! As Stephen Tyler preaches to us back in the day: I dont want to close my eyes, I dont want to fall asleep....." Okay, so the rest of the song is about love but nonetheless - I dont want to miss a thing. And I dont want to squander another day. And I dont want you to either.
As I write this the sun is starting to go down and I am still in the office and this is not how I want this day to end - alone in the office. Therefore, heeding my own advise - I am going to go spend my night well at a little Vinings cookout and then heading to the Fox to see Sheryl Crow. Carpe diem kids! More from Kempis to come. Check out Imitation of Christ for some more answers to all of your questions. My cuppeth really overfloweth. Thanks Tom for such a simple reminder.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

SHUT IT MEREDITH!! I just finished that book! HEY ATLANTA - THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOK. Overflowing with wisdom and humility. Everyone needs to read it - wouldn't yall agree? Wow. His words!! I want those words to come out of my mouth. I'm jealous of his intimacy with God. Betsy - you're a great writer my dear. xoxoxo!

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home