A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Far too kind

I never knew there were blog-addicts until you contemplate shutting off the blog. Well, the support is much appreciated. Decision regarding the tenure of this thing is tbd. The reasons aren't because I don't enjoy it - actually quite the opposite...just a funny feeling that maybe there are other things I could be doing right now that seem pertinent. Blogging has become a part of the daily routine replacing flossing and vitamins so it will be hard to break the habit. Nonetheless, the time is near. For now, no immediate worries. Unless of course you want to worry about me and my breathing.

Yesterday on a whim I took myself to Northside hospital. I figured the obstruction to daily living that is due to my inability to consume air like a normal human being had gone on way too long. I go to the doctor much like I get my hair cut - right when I think of it - no advance appointment needed. I go to the Emergency room and then end up somehow on another floor seeing an internist. I do not know a thing about hospitals and doctors and insurance and the whole health industry (aside from a few random facts from my new med-supply sales friend. Of course, he is also the one that asked if my rhomboid was in my throat?). And to be honest - I dont think there is one person at the hospital yesterday aside from the security guard that did a decent job at all of explaining what was going on.....and this was just something minor. I had never needed to understand the term 'bedside manner' because honestly, I have never stepped foot in a hospital past the waiting room (and a slight detour to a room that I think they held people who thought they were hurt but weren't like me - just to make me feel better and charge me multiple of thousands of dollars....this sprang from a minor neck injury in highschool. I was a hypochondriac back in the day. Not now. I hope.) So, I know not a thing about hospitals and processes and more so, I don't know what to really tell a doctor (who is seemingly rude and uninterested in the first place). I know he hears stories everyday and of course, i want him to like my story and maybe offer some sound advise or just tell me I am nuts and everyone lives uncomfortably with their breathing and with their rhomboid.....which is in the back between the shoulder blades, no, not in the throat and not in the leg (mama). Anyway, hours and several old magazines later they finally decide to run every test offered on the floor...I am really not sure why they ran these tests or really what they were testing. Obviously it wasn't enough because just when I thought I might get some answers a former pole vaulter (nurse) came into to try to draw blood from my poor arms. After the 6th try the third nurse was successful. Katie, my hot roommate-nurse says this is not normal and that she has never missed. I wish she was my nurse yesterday.
Anyway, 4 hours and 30 minutes at Northside and I walk out with 3 prescriptions, not a clue what is wrong and a funky purple disk that is somehow supposed to help me breathe if I ever figure out how to work it. The best thing I got out of going to the doctor yesterday was the satisfaction that I actually did something about it and didn't ignore my ailments any longer. I will say after yesterday's experience though, I am not sure how likely I am to go throw myself at another doctor (not literally kids) when everything seems to be falling apart. I think I could have asked my 14 year old sister what was wrong with me and gotten the same response. I am not being cynical - I promise, just honest. If not then I think my new med-supply sales buddy could explain more from mere observation and he has a whole heck of a lot more bedside manner. How much do you charge, new medical-sales-smart friend?
And, yes, I am leaving these bandaids on my arms for the rest of the week - that kind of torture deserves a little sympathy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home