A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Friday, March 03, 2006

Daily routine

This is a little secret as I think this habit is quite neurotic and shouldn't normally be shared with the common man. But I went on a highschool retreat last weekend and the theme was "Dialing into God (as opposed to the internet or blogs or myspace....go figure) and being real." So in efforts to live what I preach - here it is: Every single day about 10:11 am I make the same three phone calls. It's almost without thought - I pick up the cell phone, push the speed dial 11, 12 and 13 and I place my bets and then I just hang up.
What am I betting on? Maybe I should have you dial the numbers to find out. I like suspense. But I wont torture as I am feeling generous today.

I am a admittedly a creature of habit though not in all areas....just when it comes to lunch. I love lunch whether I take one or not - I love the concept. I will drive for food and a good conversation and sometimes just drive to drive with my windows down and the sunroof open. Therefore, when it comes to lunch and my favorite places I routinely call to gather the daily menu and then atleast once a week - make a venture to partake in my favorite meal of the day.
Here it is.....and yes, in particular order:
404-239-9023 Souper Jenny: Often imitated but never duplicated for the most grand lunch in the city. You can't help but come off the phone happy once you have heard the daily soups and salads being served. Everything about this place is everything I like altogether: singing in the soup line, fabulous quotes throughout the place, even numbers ($4, $6, $8, $10) for meals...never any change needed, fresh cookies, free fruit and some daily insight while waiting in the line (and the line is atrocious (sp?) on an average lunch day starting from11:30-2pm), happy workers, fresh ingredients, colorful salads, outdoor seating...you name it. This is by far my favorite favorite lunch place in Hotlanta. And lastnight.....you wont believe this - in route to a fabulous party for my buddies, Beth and Holly, who are going to Africa for 6 months, we parked and what to my wondering eyes should appear but Souper Jenny's Open Sign (and I cheered!(Had to make it rhyme)). So on Thursday's they have Grilled Cheese and Soup night. Man oh man - I was in heaven....what a fabulous unexpected treat. Should you need a little lift right now - call this number - you won't be let down even just to hear the chirpy voice on the other end. And, I wil share this with you though you cant tell anyone because I fear this catching on more than it already has and then I will lose....the best soup you may ever taste in all your life is the Chicken Tortilla. It is served maybe every 10th day or less and when it is on the menu it goes fast. That's free from me to you for your loyalty.
Okay, #2 - though as dearly loved, I am running out of time: Should you be up in the sticks in Alpharetta, exit 8 has a fabulous little find: (these have all been previously blogged about should you need further convincing) drum roll please.......Fancy Pantry! (770)650-6544. FP also lists its daily specials over the phone and though not as pleasant over the phone the food cannot be beat. The atmosphere isn't as cozy and the people not as friendly (someone reminds you of the Seinfeld episode of the soup kitchen) but the food is worth the drive and the tolerance for the usual lunch crowd. You will mostly only find here Soccer moms and their toddlers and an occasional business man who has found the secret as well. Take a seat in the back or outside as I do and enjoy a culinary explosion - atleast for what a lunch has to offer. Again, chicken tortilla soup is to die for.
The third is Cafe at Pharr (obviously on Pharr road in Buckhead). I only call them for take out as they have no recording but this little neighborhood fave is the bomb.com. They serve a yogurt roll with every menu item and man, you are going to want to just stick your tongue in this sucker and just lick until you poke through to the other side. It is light and just the perfect after lunch treat. Now this place is teeny tiny and quite a hit for lunch so take some time when you go or do as I do and call ahead. Better yet - call me - I'll meet you or even bring it to you if you want to experience lunch Betsy style.

I'm hungry. Today it is Souper Jenny - black bean soup. I can't wait.
You too can look forward to 10:11 am every morning too - it makes lunch that much more exciting to try to guess before you hear the daily menus if your favorite item is being served.
Happy Friday!

PS- I moved into an office. Exiting but way too tempting to spend more time sharing my life with the world wide web. I need some accountability here folks. Help a sista out.
Ciao bellas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home