A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Friday, June 02, 2006

Long time coming

Lastnight, my wife/husband/significant other and I sat and watched home movies. You would not have liked these videos but we did. We laughed and cried for hours unil we made ourself turn the thing off and go to bed. Latnight was a night of blackmail at it's best.

Katie and I have been living together for the most part for 7 years now. I havent done anything for 7 years. Part of me is embarrassed when I write that that it has truly been 7 years and that I am old enough to have known someone for that long and yet none of it has to do with highschool (though I am pretty convinced had we known eachother in highschool-we may not have lasted this long...Katie has always been a heck of alot cooler than I am.) For the most part though, I am truly humbled that someone would care to stick by me for so long. And let me tell you - from nude high-kicks to tears to dances in the mirror to an occassional suicide watch to job changes to city moves to falling in love and having my heart broken - Katie has truly seen it all. I don't give her enough credit - I would have walked out on me years ago were I her. But she didnt. She is still here and happily - I think we arent the same. In many ways there has been no change - I still tend to enjoy leading the pack and Katie makes the best follower....More so, she is encouraging beyond anything I deserve - even in the smallest of endeavors. She still looks cool just sitting in her pajamas and I have yet to learn to color coordinate my outfits. We are both still thoroughly entertained by just making fun of ourselves and dancing around the house if we need a little spice in the night....There are more but point is - many things the same but really, thank God, many things have changed. It is such a joy to see us change even from a few short years ago when we were dancing and conversing in front of a video camera for entertainment (little did we know these little mini-reality tv shows would be the going attraction one random June night - many years later.) My heart really is encouraged by the beautiful woman that I have watched Katie become - more so, I am so lucky to have been molded just the same. God's heart and His hands are really manifested fully in Katie - how soothing to see someone so in tune with God's purposes.

This year, according to our new lawyer friend, Charlsie, it is by state law (Not Georgia but somewhere more exotic) that Katie and I can be common-law married. We are embracing this marriage. If anyone is looking for reason to celebrate - we consider this a huge feat. Like I said before - there are no other things that I can think of that have lasted for 7 years in my life. Needless to say - Katie and I will always welcome your cheers and your toasts for our happy life together. And we are planning a little mid-summer celebration to mark this new step in our relationship. You should be jealous.
You should be jealous because Katie is a friend like no other. She knows the keys to my heart but she also knows what I need to hear but choose not to at times. She is comfortably confident in all settings and that, too, makes for an enjoyable friendship.

I can't wait to pull out these videos again in a few years when Katie and I are still relaxing at the Terrace. At the time we really asked ourselves what we would be doing when we turned 25. I guarantee none of our answers were close to reality. I dont know where I thought I'd be but I know it wasnt here. But how happy I am that I was wrong!

Katie, I am renewing my vows to you tonight as a wife/husband/significant other: I vow to love you in sickness and in health (unless it involves throwup or rubbing feet): for richer or for poorer (honey- I dont know if we could get any poorer!: In good times and in bad (as long as the good times include an occassional highschool rendition of our favorite basketball cheer or an episode of laughing at ourselves so hard and so long that our abs are literally out of commission for days) and for all the days (and more) of my life.

Whether or not it is the Terrace or my semi-country house with wrao around porch - you will always have a key and a key to my heart!

Just remember: "I always just wanted to sparkle."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home