A little part of the Big story.....fka "My Year to Thrive"

My favorite word in highschool was Lagniappe thanks to Dr. Sims. Lagniappe is 'a little something extra.' I just like the word and the french origin. Hope you enjoy a little something extra today!

Monday, June 12, 2006

Why Atlanta is so fabulous

I am sure this list would vary for the majority of A-T-L-ian's but I think I can speak for the most of the people I tend to run with....Atlanta has it all and it is really a blessing to have such an amazing group of friends to share it with. I love soaking up the friendships and fellowship as we coast through our early 20's....So here it goes:
-eclectic neighborhoods from the Highlands, to Caggabetown, to the Marietta square, to Funwoody, North Buckhead, Decatur and in between....and so much character to seperate each one.
-Food food and more food. I could start to name but most of you know I am a restaurant snob and love to drive for food and spend time eating food and I love new places....A few to name for now - Taqueria Del Sol, Nava, Luevo Laredo, Eatzi's, Super Jenny, Angus and Muriels, Murphy's in the Highlands, Harry and Sons, Carol Street Cafe, Cafe at Phar, Capital City Club, Chops....my tummy is growling and I am drooling.
-Central to everything. 1 hour to the mountains, 4 to the beach, 20 mins to some dirty water in Allattoona but fabulous for water skiing, rock climbing, rock viewing (Stone Mountain), bike trails, running trails...you name it.
-The Braves. $6 beer and $6 hotdog = not so fabulous but otherwise, pack a picnic and enjoy a perfect night at the Ted for a small penny
-Chastain ampitheatre. Enough said.

So this list is fairly obvious and supported due to the fact that Atlanta is the #2 transient city behind Denver and the population is expected to soar in the next 5 years. But really, the reason I love Atlanta is the people and the fellowship I have found here. I can mainly attribute this to Buckhead Church because it is the enitity which helps to initiate fabulous settings for young 20-somethings to meet other young 20-somethings. Really, though, it is God. I smile daily at the way my whole story like so many other people I know here, has come together. It starts with a small transition period and a little time to just find Peachtree Street and see where it leads but unltimately it leads to a huge plethora of opportunity for rich friendships. This past weekend my three friends celebrated their birthdays at Stone Mountain. One email sent out nearly 4 days before and 80 people show up. To be honest, a few I knew well, several I have hung out with, several more I have seen and then the majority I may have never met but could easily grab lunch next week or even sit and have a great conversation right there on the lawn at Stone Mountain. This is what happens when we are sold out for Christ. There is no other expanation. We have been given so much and for that - much is expected. My challenge for this large group of friends that we have encountered is that we deliver. So few people ever get to taste friendship so geuine but yet so simple - founded on the One thing that holds all things together (Col. 1:17). We are challenged to seriously take the blessings that we have been given and share them and give them away to others. What better form or worship and adoration! Saturday was such a beautiful display of this. After the mountain more than half the crew headed to a shady little bar in Decatur and we ended up taking over the place. Okay, so yes, I love to dance especially when you dont have to worry about random sketchy boys that tend to lurk in sketchy bars but how great to be crowded into a small venue with 50 of your now closest friends a little dancing tunes on the speakers from our very own DJ, Swivel and really, no where else to be. I was high on life Saturday night and it was so refreshing to look around and see everyone genuinely enjoying themselves and enjoying the company familiar and unfamiliar. You make everything glorious! We thank you, God, for such sweet times and such sweet friends. To whom much is given much can be expected. I have no doubt that this crowd will take these blessings and pay them forward.
Happy Birthday Tomi, Dalton and Brian! Thank you for the perfect reason to celebrate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home